Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Gujju Experience

   We went for shopping today ...Dont ask me where. Ofcourse T.nagar- the mecca of shoppers...
We wanted to have lunch in a decent place without much crowd and the people waiting peeping over our plates.Since we wanted to taste something different from the usual southindian, we tried Mansukh's restaurant in ramasamy street.I had already read about this 'Gujju' restaurant in burrp.com and found this had decent reviews.

   They had a sunday special called 'majarajha thali' for 160 rupees. They serve you a welcome drink of guava juice, followed by a starter. I dont know the name of this item, because i am not much familiar with gujarathi food.It was some kofta in a khadi base, which was very good.After that they serve you dhokla and  paan leaf bajji with mint chutney.Then you can have poori/ phulka/paratha/white rice/curd rice served with dhal, pulses subji,green subji,aloo subji, a dahi based curry( which was sweet and spicy, do not know the name),salad,two sweets, pickle and buttermilk to drink.And you finish off with icecream and beeda.The rasamalai was excellent.My hubby, who is not much of a sweetlover,  polished it off.All the subjis were decent.The phulkas were soft and fluffy.The rotis are served hot from the kitchen.The mild flavour of gujju food was a welcome change from the regular spicy northindian food. Many of the dishes had some amount of sweetness in them.(We all know Gujju's love for sweets).My husband was joking that except for the pickle all dishes had a tinge of sweetness.The service is good.And the ambience is neat.

  Oh..How did I forget? The thali is UNLIMITED.....But trust me,you  might get a second helping of some items but not all. The meal is so heavy on your tummy, I didnt feel like having dinner at all.Next time I visit Mansukh's I will try to have their roti/rice subji combos, which might be a little bit lighter.

But ,go taste the Maharhaja thali once and have a royal experience.

P.S. I found it amusing that almost all of the waiters are tamilians, I expected to see some northindian faces.

No comments: